Bonnet Ponson

The Bonnet-Ponson champagne winery is located in Chamery, a Premier Cru location on the Petit Montagne de Reims with ownership on the Petit Montagne and in the Grand Cru locations in Verzenay. The father was one of the first in the village to work organically, but was not yet certified. His son Cyril has now returned after years of wandering through the world of wine and is consistently taking the next steps. The winery is now fully certified and the style of the champagne seems to be changing almost radically. While the style used to be more classic to conservative, it is now being slimmed down. Little or no dosage, no filtration, fermentation with natural yeasts, minimal sulfur. The Seconde Nature is clearly moving in the direction of “natural champagne”, but the new line is also becoming more and more popular with the more classic champagnes and offers a sensational price-enjoyment ratio.

HEAR NATURE

The love for our country, the search for expression in our wines; These basic values of our philosophy lead us to work with respectful and sustainable methods in our vineyards and in the cellar.

Since 2013, all of our vineyards have been cultivated according to organic principles (with certification), a commitment to cultivation without synthetic pesticides, herbicides or chemical fertilizers.

Protection against rot is provided with natural fungicides such as sulphate and copper sulphate as well as with herbal preparations that are made on the winery with local plants (nettle maceration, horsetail infusion).

The aim is to help the vines fight diseases with their own natural defenses instead of curing the disease themselves with the help of chemicals. To achieve this, it is essential to maintain a stable and dynamic ecosystem in our plots; when microorganisms, plants and animals work together, they are able to balance each other out.

THE VINIFICATION

From harvest on, every step of the winemaking process is thought through in order to preserve the aging potential of the wine and to reveal its natural quality through gentle and gentle methods.

The grapes are pressed in lots or in groups and gravity flows into the decanter. The next day they are pumped over and quickly fermented with our own yeast culture, which we have previously developed from the grapes in our vineyards. This technique was developed at the winery to limit or avoid the use of sulphites in winemaking.

The choice of wine container depends on the origin of the grapes and their ability to ripen. About 30% of our wines are aged in French oak barrels (228l and 400l), the remaining 70% are fermented and aged in stainless steel or concrete vats.

THE STRENGHT IS TO BE FOUND IN SERENITY

Most of our wines do not go through filtration or fining. Their clarification occurs naturally during winter, when the temperature in the basement drops. Whether in the barrel or in the vat, the wines remain on their layers for at least 7 months before bottling in order to build up their structure and refine their taste.

Every year 35 to 45 % of the new harvest are added to the reserve for a longer maturation in our cellar barrels. This “taste memory”, which André Bonnet launched 50 years ago, is the basis for the identity of our Cuvées Non Vintages. It contains a tiny fraction of each previous vintage that is blended using the Solera method in order to maintain its complexity and consistency over the years.

After bottling and the mousseux in the freshness of our caves, each bottle ages for at least 36 months, the cuvées of the vintages for up to 10 years. The disgorgement, which is still carried out in-house by Cyril Bonnet and his team, gives the Bonnet-Ponson champagne the finishing touch, along with a touch of the in-house “Liqueur d'expédition”.

Portrait:

Appellation: AOC Champagne
Vineyard area: 10.5 ha
Annual production: 65,000 bottles
Ground: Sandy loam, calcareous loam, chalk
Grape varieties: Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Pinot Meunier, Petit Meslier
Certification: EC organic regulation

THEIR WINE

drunk up
36,90  VAT included

49,40  / l

incl. 19% VAT

plus Shipping

SALE
73,90  VAT included

98,70  / l

incl. 19% VAT

plus Shipping

SALE
SALE
SALE